2024 - MIKA @ Choregies d'Orange 2024, Orange, France, 23 June REPORTS / VIDS / PICS

Le Dauphiné Libéré

https://www.ledauphine.com/culture-loisirs/2024/06/25/un-voyage-hors-du-temps-au-theatre-antique-d-orange-avec-mika

Vidéo

Un voyage hors du temps au théâtre antique d'Orange avec Mika

Le concert de Mika a ravi les 7 000 spectateurs présents dans le théâtre antique d'Orange, dimanche 23 juin. Il se produisait dans le cadre des Chorégies. Un voyage hors du temps où le chanteur pop a revisité ses titres en version symphonique. Chaleureux et bienveillant avec son public, il l’a emmené, durant plus de deux heures et quelque 19 titres, dans une aventure où la musique classique a épousé avec justesse ses chansons pop.

:uk: Google translator

A timeless journey to the ancient theater of Orange with Mika
Mika's concert delighted the 7,000 spectators present in the ancient theater of Orange, Sunday June 23. He performed as part of the Chorégies. A journey out of time where the pop singer revisited his titles in a symphonic version. Warm and caring with his audience, he took them, for more than two hours and some 19 titles, on an adventure where classical music aptly married his pop songs.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, giraffeandy said:

Mika posted a reel from Orange:

https://www.instagram.com/reel/C8phVx6s4KA/

Ah, I see some familiar faces (including myself)! :wub2: I love that he mentions the wind as one of the things that made the show special, because I felt the same. It wasn't strong where I was sitting, but occasionally it was blowing through my hair, and it somehow made the place feel more open and wider, like standing in an open field while listening to this amazing music. And also, it's connected with wonderful memories for me, wind and music together.

• Like 6

Posted (edited)

mikainstagram

https://www.instagram.com/p/C8phVx6s4KA/

1 hour ago, Kumazzz said:

mikainstagram

https://www.instagram.com/p/C8phVx6s4KA/

What an enormous thrill it was to bring my philharmonic collaboration with conductor Simon Leclerc to the spectacular Roman theatre of Orange!

The setting… the huge crowd…. the open air…. The wind!!!

It was an incredible way to begin the summer festival season. Thank you to every one of you who came!❤️🙌🏽🙏

Quelle émotion incroyable d’avoir partagé dimanche avec vous ce concert symphonique, dirigé le chef Simon Leclerc, au spectaculaire Théâtre Antique d’Orange.

Le cadre.. la foule immense …le plein air .. le vent !

C’était la façon parfaite de commencer la saison des festivals d’été.

Merci à tout ceux qui sont venus !!

@orchestrenationalavignonpce

@choeurregionsud

@choregies

#mika #philharmonic #france #orange

YouTube

2 hours ago, giraffeandy said:

SaveIG.App_3398394026069820032.mp4_000084000.thumb.png.e5b03fffd79f54ceb44959bb003e9f8f.png

Mika Orchestra Set list

1. Tehu, overture
  2. Toy Boy
  3. Underwater
  4. Boum Boum Boum
  5. Last Party
  6. I Went Hell
  7. Good Guys
  8. Je sais que je t'aime
  9. Love you when I'm drunk
  10. Heroes
  11. C'est la vie
  12. Over my shoulder
  13. Jane Birkin
  14. Blue
  15. Happy Ending
  16. Origin of Love
  17. Relax Take It Easy
  18. Elle me dit
  19. Grace Kelly
  20. Love Today
Edited by Kumazzz
update
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

56 minutes ago, giraffeandy said:

mikasounds on X

What an enormous thrill it was to bring my philharmonic collaboration with conductor Simon Leclerc to the spectacular Roman theatre of Orange!

The setting… the huge crowd…. the open air…. The wind!!!

It was an incredible way to begin the summer festival season.

Thank you to every one of you who came! 

Quelle émotion incroyable d’avoir partagé dimanche avec vous ce concert symphonique, dirigé le chef Simon Leclerc, au spectaculaire Théâtre Antique d’Orange.

Le cadre.. la foule immense …le plein air .. le vent !

C’était la façon parfaite de commencer la saison des festivals d’été.

Merci à tout ceux qui sont venus !!

Orchestra National Avignon-Provence Choeur Region Sud

#mika #philharmonic #france #orange

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

YouTube videos by @Margot Halleguen

( in no particular order)

On 6/25/2024 at 5:51 AM, Kumazzz said:

Concert Symphonique de Mika aux Chorégies d'Orange Relax Take It Easy

Concert Symphonique de Mika aux Chorégies d'Orange Love Today

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

Le 24/06/2024 à 21h55, Mellody a dit :

Je télécharge mes vidéos...

Celui de Mika partant après le show serait le dernier, mais comme Anajulia l'a demandé, je le mets en ligne en premier :

Sous-marin

Parlant

Boum Boum Boum

Parlant

Dernière fête

Je suis allé en enfer la dernière nuit (chanson entière)

Parlez du lieu et de l'enregistrement du spectacle

Parlez de la femme qui tenait les cloisons:mdr3:

Je sais que je t'aime (chanson entière)

Parlez avant LYWID :

GRANDIOSE

LYWID s'amuse avec le violoniste:mdr3:

Parlez de la bande originale de Zodi et Tehu

Courte partie du medley de la bande originale (je pense que c'est Le Papillon et le Miracle)

Parlez d'Ida et des héros

Héros

Héros (une autre petite fête)

Parlez de Jane Birkin et du début de la chanson

La faute chante pour JB, partie 1

Foule chantante pour JB, partie 2 (ils ne pouvaient pas s'arrêter ! :mdr3:)

Parle, il dit que son choral est devenu beaucoup plus grande:mdr:

Parlez avant Blue (malheureusement, cela a été coupé, car ma carte mémoire était pleine à ce moment-là :doh:)

(Suite avec l'espace de stockage de mon téléphone... :vilain:)

Parlons d'Ida

Origine de l'amour

Un autre peu d'OOL

Se détendre

Mika discutait avec des personnes dans la foule qui criaient

Grace Kelly

Aimer aujourd'hui

Discussion : Merci

Et c'est tout!

Merci pour toutes ces vidéos !!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

To all the people who were at the Mika Philarmonic in Orange and who filmed or took a photo of the moment (between Jane Birkin and Blue) where a girl from the audience shouted "Mika je t'aime ! Je t'aime !" and that ' he replied with a heart, could you send them to me please.

It's really important to me ❤️

• Like 3

33 minutes ago, chapocalypso said:

To all the people who were at the Mika Philarmonic in Orange and who filmed or took a photo of the moment (between Jane Birkin and Blue) where a girl from the audience shouted "Mika je t'aime ! Je t'aime !" and that ' he replied with a heart, could you send them to me please.

Unfortunately I don’t have it on video or photo, I’m so sorry! But I remember this moment and it was very cute!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, chapocalypso said:

On my video you can see the heart just at the beginning. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

After a few days I have finally found the words to report about this absolutely extraordinary concert, I am still reeling and I will be for a very long time. 

The first Mika philharmonic concert I went to was in 2021, where we were quite restricted in expressing our enthusiasm, as we were amidst a pandemic (wearing face masks). Also, the intense audience participation at normal gigs is very tuned down in a philharmonic setting, because of the atmosphere and nature of the concert. 

I was expecting a delicate setting like this again, but also having been to many Mika concerts in the meantime, I knew we would have to expect the unexpected! I was very thrilled to see what that would be. 

When you enter the Theatre Antique, you just gasp. It is majestically impressive and the perfect frame for this philharmonic setting. It was the golden hour, casting a beautiful glow on the sand coloured stones, with beneath it the bustling of people entering. The orchestra was taking a seat and random sounds to test their instruments added to the chaos. 

I love moments like these. 

Mika entered and was wearing a beautiful blue suit with reflecting parts on the fabric, giving it both a playful yet elegant look. The combination with the black dress shoes was perfect. I love his colourful suits with white sneakers, but given the setting this was tastefully chosen. 

Toy Boy was a sweet and light song to start with and set the mood, before the strings would come in strong waves during Underwater. Then it all came crashing down with percussion and accompanying lights with Boum Boum Boum. The Mistral started to show itself and Mika embraced it by leaning into the gushes of wind, letting it carry him along. Dust was going along the stage and definitely added to the dramatic effect, as if he had conjured it!

We all gasped! What a buildup! What else did he have in store for us!? 

Last Party is a song that just takes you along for the journey. The orchestra and especially choir adds to the drama it deserves, an added dimension we only get to experience in this setting. 

I Went To Hell Last Night, my favourite at the Paris Philharmonic in 2021. You could tell Mika had now really warmed up and put his everything in it (as he would say it: he really sang with his butt!). 

I really enjoyed Good Guys during the last tour, but during this gig I had the feeling it was a message of poetic resistance. Someone told me that politically speaking, the town of Orange had an extreme right situation at the moment… and I’ve spoken with Nina about this in depth, but for him to change the chorus from “Good Guys” to “where have all the gay guys gone?” more than once, was to me the best way to fight back. In the way only he can. 

Je Sais Que Je T’aime… no words to describe the intensity and emotion, I’ve added a small video, because you need to see it with your own eyes to see what I mean. 

Love You When I’m Drunk is so cheeky!! I love it!! What a perfect way to break this intense buildup! The audience also felt it and started clapping along. Audience participation was only to increase from there on! 

The Zodi et Tehu Medley with Ida was breathtaking. I do realize that Ida has so much more up her sleeve, but we got a glimpse of what her voice can do and it just blows me away every time. 

Heroes came after and I think this was one of my favourites of the concert. It was also the first one where he received his first standing ovation of the night - more than deserved. I’ve added a video to see how you can hear the warmth and depth of his lower register, to then go up into as high as falsetto for the last part. It made me shiver, and no, it was definitely not the Mistral. 

C’est La Vie stripped from its normally happy tune, transformed into a dramatic version with orchestra and choir. The only thing I could do was gasp and smile widely, what an adaptation and what a dimension to discover about this song. 

Over My Shoulder with Ida: just wow. His voice was on point! Jane Birkin is just as carefree with a touch of heaviness, but oh! Was the audience into it!!! We couldn’t stop singing “La La La” and Mika clearly loved it. Formal was definitely off the table, because also shouts from the audience increasingly came. It didn’t break his concentration for long though, he went right back into it. 

Then came Blue… his voice broke, for the first and only time during this concert. He even had to pause and restart the song.

Some say it was the dust and the Mistral, but I could see him hold back tears at the end of the song before he quickly composed himself…

Happy Ending with Ida and Max, I truly feel that’s the only time the song feels fully “whole” and at “home”, knowing that he recorded it in a garage in Chiswick together with her. He even told the story before the start of the song and I could see Ida beam at him. 

For the last bit of the concert he chose Origin Of Love, Relax, Elle Me Dit, Grace Kelly and Love Today. These songs are a regular part of the setlist in all of his gigs and I felt he truly let go here, performing them from muscle memory and truly living it on stage: but then with in a philharmonic setting. You could especially see with Love Today that (as I call it) the popping rockstar in him unleashed at times. I think he was seriously holding back there!! If he could he would’ve transformed into his feather suit to fly over the audience. 

The audience however did not hold back, how could we? Dancing and singing and clapping along until the end. Eventually some stood up and walked up to the front to add to the chaos. Yes, this was truly a Mika gig. 

All six (!) albums represented, the depth and warmth of his voice supported and amplified by an orchestra, a choir and this magnificent theatre to both frame and truly extend him. We definitely saw Mika in FULL force! And gosh did I wish we would see it more. 

• Like 9
  • Thanks 6

On 6/25/2024 at 10:26 PM, mellody said:

I love that he mentions the wind as one of the things that made the show special, because I felt the same. It wasn't strong where I was sitting, but occasionally it was blowing through my hair, and it somehow made the place feel more open and wider, like standing in an open field while listening to this amazing music.

Indeed, it felt like the wind was some kind of a special effect being part of the concert, and during BBB when it started blowing Mika's jacket and he raised his hands in the air, you could swear it was prepared in advance! :wub2:

And that venue, absolutely amazing! With all those changing colors highlighting the ancient walls and creating tridimensional shades! Really beautiful :heart:

The new songs are perfect in the symphonic version, but C'est La Vie it's a killer! It was my favorite from the new songs. And I'm glad he kept Heroes, I think he got the strongest reaction from the audience after performing it. Also Last Party it's a must for his symphonic concerts, especially that we don't get to hear it anymore at the regular gigs. 

Anyway, like many other fans said, it was a bit different from the previous concerts, much more relaxed and it was nice that the audience have been respectful, warm and so energetic :clap: 

Edited by krysady
  • Like 7

I've been thinking about writing a report but honestly I find it so hard to describe it in words and since it was recorded anyway, it's better you all just watch it and experience it for yourselves.

It was simply phenomenal and everyone did such an amazing job, especially considering the strong wind. I kept thinking "imagine singing or playing the violin in this". As Karin said, the wind even added to the atmosphere at times, it added such a dramatic touch to BBB for example and made Ida look like a goddess, with her hair and dress flowing behind her.

I also loved the good mood after the concert, when we were still standing outside. Musicians kept coming out of the artist's entrance and were greeted with applause and cheers. They looked very surprised and amused but touched. They kept complimenting back saying we were a fantastic audience and one of them even got the crowd to sing C'est la vie for a little bit. So I think even though this was a very different experience for them, they enjoyed it immensely.

This was confirmed by an encounter I later had which I want to tell you about.

I was walking back to the hotel with three Dutch fans, when in the middle of the city, four elderly people suddenly came up to us and excitedly asked if we had seen Mika. We were very confused because none of us spoke French very well. I politely asked if they had seen Mika too and it turned out they were members of his choir! They seemed so happy to talk to us so I used the opportunity to ask questions like if doing something like this was a really fun change for them. To which they said yes, but it was also hard work. I asked how long they had been practicing and they said "Only since yesterday. That's when we met Mika".

They again said that it was such a great audience and that they had seen us dancing and even filmed it from the stage :D

Then one of them said "We are actually a soprano, an alto, a tenor and a bass so you have the whole choir represented here" to which one of the Dutch girls cleverly replied "Sing sth for us then!" and they started singing the chorus of "C'est la vie"! We joined in.

So my night ended by singing C'est la vie with four members of Mika's choir in the middle of the night in Orange. It was one of the most magical and surreal things that has ever happened to me and I'm still not entirely sure I didn't dream it. :heart:

• Like 22
  • Thanks 2

17 minutes ago, CharlotteL said:

I was walking back to the hotel with three Dutch fans, when in the middle of the city, four elderly people suddenly came up to us and excitedly asked if we had seen Mika. We were very confused because none of us spoke French very well. I politely asked if they had seen Mika too and it turned out they were members of his choir! They seemed so happy to talk to us so I used the opportunity to ask questions like if doing something like this was a really fun change for them. To which they said yes, but it was also hard work. I asked how long they had been practicing and they said "Only since yesterday. That's when we met Mika".

They again said that it was such a great audience and that they had seen us dancing and even filmed it from the stage :D

Then one of them said "We are actually a soprano, an alto, a tenor and a bass so you have the whole choir represented here" to which one of the Dutch girls cleverly replied "Sing sth for us then!" and they started singing the chorus of "C'est la vie"! We joined in.

So my night ended by singing C'est la vie with four members of Mika's choir in the middle of the night in Orange. It was one of the most magical and surreal things that has ever happened to me and I'm still not entirely sure I didn't dream it. :heart:

That's so cool !

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, CharlotteL said:

I've been thinking about writing a report but honestly I find it so hard to describe it in words and since it was recorded anyway, it's better you all just watch it and experience it for yourselves.

It was simply phenomenal and everyone did such an amazing job, especially considering the strong wind. I kept thinking "imagine singing or playing the violin in this". As Karin said, the wind even added to the atmosphere at times, it added such a dramatic touch to BBB for example and made Ida look like a goddess, with her hair and dress flowing behind her.

I also loved the good mood after the concert, when we were still standing outside. Musicians kept coming out of the artist's entrance and were greeted with applause and cheers. They looked very surprised and amused but touched. They kept complimenting back saying we were a fantastic audience and one of them even got the crowd to sing C'est la vie for a little bit. So I think even though this was a very different experience for them, they enjoyed it immensely.

This is the coolest story ever ❤️

• Like 4

32 minutes ago, CharlotteL said:

Oh my god, that's so awesome - and such coincidences, c'est la vie!  :wink2:

• Like 2

1 hour ago, CharlotteL said:

This is something I enjoyed so much in Orange. I've been to Mika gigs mostly in big cities or to venues that are located on the outskirts so the magical concert atmosphere was always limited to the venue and its close surroundings only. The rest of the world wasn't part of it, obviously, there is so much going on in bigger cities each day and night, so many different events, a Mika gig can happen and many locals won't even notice.

But not in Orange. It is a small town and the venue is the heart of the city. Everyone knew Mika is playing there. After all, the city has less than 30 000 inhabitants and more than 7 000 people came there to see the concert. When you were walking the streets or eating at a nice place, you still saw some familiar faces, other Mika fans excited for the concert. You saw people taking photos with the posters showing Mika. People were also playing and singing Mika's music, even some locals were playing and dancing to C'est la vie in front of their shop. The waiter in the creperie where we ate for lunch wished us a nice concert. Apart from the locals, most people in the streets came there for Mika that night. It felt like being in a Mika world where everyone is a fan and every night there is a concert (imagine :cloud:). Even the colourful town decoration felt Mikaish. The atmosphere of the whole town both before and after the concert was something very special and unique. :mikalove:

Edited by giraffeandy
  • Like 14
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, giraffeandy said:

It felt like being in a Mika world where everyone is a fan and every night there is a concert

You describe it so well, this is exactly the feeling!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, krysady said:

You describe it so well, this is exactly the feeling!

I wish I could stay in that world, my mind is still there but returning to work on Tuesday was harsh, even though I've been only 1,5 day off :sweatdrop: I want back to the Mika world! :biggrin2: 

Otherwise, I'm also unable to write a report about the concert, it was everything I wished for and more, the setlist was perfect (to hear Je sais que je t'aime live was my dream :cloud:). I hope he will get more creative with his regular setlist too, it's so great to hear a setlist that's representative for all his albums! I was so touched by his performance, somehow I was way more emotional than in Paris during the symphonic concerts, maybe because it was way more relaxed as many of you have mentioned. The venue was amazing too, open-air and opulent at the same time which is a very rare combination. We were sitting on the stones but we haven't noticed any problems with the sound or the wind during the concert. It was perfect! (Even with a few typical "Mikastakes" that are part of every good concert, like forgetting the lyrics :teehee:)

• Like 8

53 minutes ago, holdingyourdrink said:

I really like this word :lol3:

:naughty:

It was funny when he missed the line in Last Party right before singing "They hear the beat but they don't know the words." :teehee: I guess he really felt it in that moment... 

Edited by giraffeandy
  • Haha 5

2 minutes ago, Maria Patricia said:

I don't know if anyone has already posted it here.

If so, you can delete it or tell me to do it.

It's the same video that Kumazzz has posted from Choregies, only reposted from a fan account.

It's also on Choregies' IG: https://www.instagram.com/reel/C8wpralIkwm/?igsh=bmZodDdhbXo3YXg2